BC: FNFTA Compliance Dropping in BC
As the Trudeau Liberals continue to weaken the First Nations Financial Transparency Act, we're finally seeing some media coverage on it. Here is a string of tweets I posted this morning to give some BC context...
- Should be no surprise that lack of accountability allows financial records to stay shrouded. #bcpoli #cdnpoli 1/ http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/first-nations-fiscal-accountability-dropped-after-liberals-cut-enforcement-measure-at-end-of-2015
- In BC, First Nations Financial Transparency Act compliance has dropped f/ 98.4% to 92%. #bcpoli #cdnpoli 2/ See http://www.taxpayer.com/blog/bc--fnfta-weekly-update-26456
- 3 BC bands - Semiahmoo, Popkum & Skatin - have not filed financial records w/ government or online for two years. #bcpoli #cdnpoli 3/
- BC bands that haven't filed #FNFTA this yr: Beecher Bay, Bonaparte, Chawathil, Gitga'at, Nazko, New Westminster... #bcpoli #cdnpoli 4/
- ...Oregon Jack Creek, Popkum, Semiahmoo, Skatin, Tlatlasikwala, Upper Similkameen, Wet’suwet’en, Wuikinuxv & Yakweakwioose #bcpoli #cdnpoli 5/
- 171 of 186 BC bands filed this yr; 183 last yr. Info is critical to good governance & healthy democracy on reserves. #bcpoli #cdnpoli 6/6