UCP Leadership Survey
In July 2017, we surveyed our supporters across Alberta to determine their priorities for the province.
Based on that feedback we then developed a "Taxpayers' Agenda for Alberta" - a list of ten priorities for the province.
In early August we asked the four candidates running for leader of the United Conservative Party of Alberta – Jeff Callaway, Brian Jean, Jason Kenney and Doug Schweitzer – where they stand on the issues identified in the Taxpayers' Agenda for Alberta. Below are their responses (grouped by question):
1) Will you balance the budget by 2021-22 without raising taxes? (Responses - click here)
2) Will you eliminate the carbon tax within 100 days of taking office? (Responses - click here)
3) Will you expand the Alberta Taxpayer Protection Act so that no new major taxes or tax hikes to major taxes can be imposed without a referendum? (Responses - click here)
4) Will you commit to bringing back Alberta’s 10% single rate personal income tax? (Responses - click here)
5) Will you end all corporate welfare in Alberta? (Responses - click here)
6) Will you push the federal government to reform equalization using all means available? (Responses - click here)
7) Will you introduce and pass MLA recall legislation? (Responses - click here)
8) Will you eliminate unnecessary government employee positions, cut government employees’ salaries by 10% and put new employees in a less costly pension plan (defined contribution)? (Responses - click here)
9) Will you lead by example to reduce spending – eliminating MLAs’ car-related perks and ability to expense both per-kilometre mileage and gas for travel? (Responses - click here)
10) Will you refuse to grant new taxing powers to municipalities and repeal any new taxing powers approved by the current government (without taxpayers approving the change through a referendum)? (Responses - click here)