Saskatchewan - News Releases
SUN Contract: Enough Already
May 29, 2008REGINA: The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) is calling on the province and health regions not to cave into excessive demands from the Saskatchewan Union of Nurses (SUN).
"Offer the average employee a 35 percent raise over four years, and they'll shake your hand before you change your mind, but not SUN," said Lee Harding, Saskatchewan Director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. "Most Saskatchewan taxpayers don't get those kinds of raises. So how can they pay for SUN's demands "
Gas Tax Relief Crashes Into Wall
May 19, 2008Click here for .pdf version
The bluster Brad Wall used against gas taxes in Opposition is now buried under millions of dollars of revenue for his government. In the sharpest of contrasts, the man who once proposed drastic gas tax relief now argues for the status quo.
Canada's 10th Annual Gas Tax Honesty Day
May 13, 2008
- Taxpayers Federation repeats call for lower and dedicated gas taxes - eliminate the "deficit elimination" tax and stop applying GST to gas taxes
- Gas prices will rise nationally if Canada adopts carbon tax.
Lower Taxes to Help Poor
April 30, 2008REGINA: As Saskatchewan's minimum wage rises to $8.60 today, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) says the province still needs to focus on lowering taxes for the working poor. The Fraser Institute's annual Tax Facts report, issued in April, shows the province taxes this group more heavily than anywhere else in Canada.
CTF Delivers School Tax Petitions
March 03, 2008REGINA: At 12:45 pm today, Lee Harding of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) presented 11,900 petitions to Sask Party MLA Jim Reiter calling for relief of school property taxes.
"This has been a burning issue for Saskatchewan taxpayers for a long time," explained Lee Harding, Saskatchewan Director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. "In 2003, the Boughen Commission called on the province to pay for 70 per cent of K-12 education, leaving 30 per cent from property tax. More than four years later, the ratio is about fifty-fifty. When will this finally change "
CTF Endorses Regina School Renewal
February 25, 2008REGINA: The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) is endorsing the Regina Public Schools 10-Year Renewal Plan and is urging its full implementation.
"The school board has done its homework," said CTF Saskatchewan Director Lee Harding. "This plan is reasonable and facilitates better schooling in a fiscally responsible way. The savings on buildings and transportation are significant."
CTF Issues Reality Check on Severance and Salaries
January 30, 2008Sask Salaries Severance 07 08
REGINA: Through Freedom of Information requests, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) has learned the current Saskatchewan government is indeed paying less for ministerial staff than the previous NDP government.
Budget 2008: CTF advises government to "Seize the Day"
January 14, 2008REGINA: In its 2008 pre-budget submission to the Saskatchewan government, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) calls for tax relief, more accountability, and a greater role for the private sector.
CTF Saskatchewan Director Lee Harding presented his recommendations to Saskatchewan Finance Minister Rod Gantefoer during a one-hour meeting. The CTF report, "Seize the Day," has 16 recommendations for the province to make the most of the current economic boom.