Career Opportunity: B.C. Communications Director
The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is hiring a B.C. Director to do hundreds of media interviews; produce engaging social media content; file dozens of freedom of information requests; and, most importantly, mobilize hundreds of thousands of Canadian taxpayers to stand up for lower taxes, less waste and more accountable government.
The B.C. Director has wide-ranging freedom to win policy victories. There are no cluttered approval processes or rigid office hours in this role. There’s no working in the shadows to build a bigger profile for someone higher up the pecking order.
We want to you to work hard and to shine with our talented and dedicated team.
The B.C. Director will report directly to the Vice President of Communications, and will be responsible for creating and executing campaigns to save taxpayers money and make politicians and bureaucrats more accountable.
- Monitor issues in the media, social media and government communications
- Provide comment to journalists
- Write and issue press releases
- Publish OpEds in newspapers and online publications
- Stage stunts and press conferences to drive debate
- Attend budget lockups and participate in media scrums
- File freedom of information requests
- Produce reports such as pre-budget submissions
- Communicate with supporters through email, social media, videos, podcasts, in-person meetings, etc.
- Produce content such as podcast episodes, Facebook posts and YouTube videos
- Develop and run campaigns focused on specific issues
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- A deep commitment to the Canadian Taxpayers Federations mission: lower taxes, less waste and more accountable government.
- Experience in public policy, media relations, politics or journalism and related post-secondary education.
- Strong writing ability is essential.
- Experience with media, public speaking and campaign organization.
- Familiarity with government documents, such as budgets.
- Proficiency in French an asset, but not required.
For more than 30 years, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation has been Canada’s leading advocacy organization dedicated to lower taxes, less waste and more accountable government. It now has more than 235,000 supporters.
Directors work independently in offices across Canada, but we are a tightly knit and supportive team that has fun collaborating. Working from home offices is encouraged.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and a health plan is available to employees.
Applicants should email Vice President of Communications Todd MacKay at [email protected] and include the following:
- Writing sample
- Salary expectations